Slow Cooker Chickpea, Lentil, and Bean Stew
Many of you know that I am a vegetarian but no one else in my family is. This means that I am often cooking two different meals so I try to find simple things that I can make for myself. I have fallen in love with slow cooker cooking because it is so easy and makes multi-tasking achievable. I make bigger portions so I will have some to freeze. This chickpea, lentil, and bean stew recipe is so easy to make and is delicious and healthy. It is full of flavor and seems to taste even better the next day after the flavors have infused further.
This recipe makes about six servings.
- 2 cans of chickpeas (15 oz cans, drained)
- 1 can of pinto beans (15 oz can, drained)
- 1 can of black beans (15 oz can, drained)
- 1 cup of dried lentils (rinsed and sorted)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (14.5 oz cans)
- black pepper to taste
- Combine the chickpeas, pinto beans, black beans, lentils and tomatoes in your slow cooker.
- Add the coriander. I used about a teaspoon but coriander has an acquired taste. I like it. I would suggest just using a dash or two if you have not tried it before or omit it all together if you don’t like it).
- Add the turmeric. You can add as much as you would like. I added about a tablespoon but I like to add turmeric to a lot of foods because of its health benefits.
- Add black pepper to taste. You can add salt if you would like to. I don’t add much salt to my foods because I often find that there is enough sodium without adding more.
- Cook on high for 3.5 hours.
See more recipes here— Recipes